Coopers Community

Strong Brew

Luthien

G'day all, I was looking at the light German Bock recipe and was wondering how it works? Is it safe to add 2 Lager tins? Could I use the Coopers Lager instead of the Heritage Lager? Ruffly how long would it take to fermentate before you'd need to bottle?

Thanks

You could use the Original Series Lager beer kit. The idea, though, is to make a beer using lager yeast. Also, Heritage Lager has an aroma hop addition.

Time taken to ferment depends on the qty of healthy yeast and the ferment temp'.

I cracked open my first bottle last night following the exact recipe on the site (make sure you do the yeast starter). I bottled it about two and a half weeks ago. The alcohol is %7.2. It is really strong and a bit tart, but definitely does the trick. Drinking one PET bottle hits you pretty hard, but I think it needs at least another 3-4 weeks to start tasting a little better. Hopefully it lasts that long!

• 3 weeks later...

I made a bastardised version of this, plus the extra strong vintage ale and a few other strong beers. I can usually drink a reasonable amount of beer before my faculties are, well lost. I had three longnecks one friday a few weeks ago, including an XSVA and a Mex Cerv (not an overly strong brew) and the room was spinning and no matter how tight I grabbed the arm chair or gripped the floor with my feet I couldn;t make it stop and I was sluring my words and had to go to bed (the bloody bedroom was spinning too). I was also in the habit of adding too much 'sugar' to standard brews to ncrease Alc. %. I have found this to be folly and I am now moving away from the strong brews and concentrating on brews that are made to (or close to) recipe, so a good long session in the hot sun is achievable.

Archived