Coopers Community

I think Cooper's yeast spoiled me...

MichaelH16

Hello everyone. I've just started my 4th batch of beer today, and it's the first batch that didn't use Cooper's yeast. For this batch, I'm using Wyeast #3522 as I'm brewing a makeshift version of a Belgian ale (Thanks Paul!). I "smacked the pack", did my preparations, which took a little over 2 hours including boil time, and by then the Wyeast package had swelled up nicely. Anyway, that was this afternoon, and as of this evening, there are no signs of fermentation.

I realize from what I've read that this is normal, but by now, Cooper's yeast would be bubbling away, happily working on converting my ingredients to beer. In short, Cooper's yeast spoiled me. [biggrin]

But I would like to take this opportunity to ask how long is too long when waiting for the signs of fermentation? Since I have so many knowledgeable people here in one place, I'd like to take this opportunity to further my own knowledge. [cool]

While we're on the subject, just how much does the yeast contribute to overall beer flavor? Could I have used Cooper's yeast for a Belgian Ale, and would it have tasted differently than it would with the above-mentioned Wyeast?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

This type of yeast contributes significantly to the finished beer - both aroma and flavour.

Smack packs may take a while to show physical signs of kicking off. The fact that the pack swelled is a good sign that the yeast is healthy. [cool]

Look for signs like we mention in the Brewing FAQs

Hi Joe,

I'm new to this myself, so hopefully somebody more knowledgeable will come by and answer your question. But in the meantime, I'll take a stab at it. :)

From what I've read, there are several factors that determine how much yeast is needed (called the "pitch rate"). Some of those factors are the gravity of the wort, the size of the batch, and the fermentation temperature. I would guess that Cooper's puts enough yeast in the package for making the recipe "as directed", but if you start adding fermentables, such as the brew enhancer, this may very well change.

To answer your second question: Yes, Cooper's does sell yeast packages separately, and I have a couple on hand myself in case I decide to experiment with the recipe, or the fermentation gets stuck, or just in case.

I hope this helps, and I hope you get a better answer than mine!

Thanks,

Mike

G'day Joe,

yes one sachet of yeast should be sufficient for the normal recipe: 1.7kg beer kit + 1kg of dry sugar (white sugar, dextrose, malt extract, etc. or a combination), made to 23litres.

You might like to pitch more yeast because you:

have some doubt about the health of the yeast with the kit,

are making a brew with a lot more fermentable material,

plan to start the brew and keep it at low temperature for the whole ferment,

just want to[biggrin]

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have been brewing for quite a while, but it has been a long time since I last used kit yeast. I can't get a decent Aussie beer where I live (I visited Australia in 1997 and love XXXX), so I thought I'd see what these kits tasted like. I remember the first times that I used kit yeast, I wished I had pitched more yeast or made a starter. If you say that one pack (supplied) is good enough, then I will relax! But just in case, I think I should order a spare pack or two! I didn't see where to buy extra packages of yeast here at the site, so do I just send an email or make a comment when ordering, or what?

Thanks!

Thanks for the info on the stateside ordering site; I'll check this out pronto. Sorry Brew Master, forgot where I was for a second! I will say that I also killed a lot of VB while I was in country! Too bad I can't get any of it here!

D:\\Temp\\vb.jpg

Joe if you really liked Drinking VB I am sure most beer drinking Aussies..........Sorry most Aussies with a good taste for beer....would be happy to send all the VB in OZ your way! Hahaha! Maybe if you got to try it again you may change your mind!?....Any way you guys i heard have crap loads of really good craft brewerys in the states! And you dont get taxed on it like we do!

From the Wyeast site:

Instructions for the proper use of Activator\u2122 packages:

1. To activate, locate and move inner packet to a corner. Place this area in palm of one hand and firmly smack package with the other hand to break inner nutrient packet. Confirm inner packet is broken.

2. Shake the package well to release the nutrients.

3. Allow package to incubate and swell for three hours or more at 70-75\xb0F (21-24\xb0C) or immediately direct pitch into wort.

They also have an instruction video!

Wyeast video

Archived