Coopers Community

Carbonation Drops / brewers sugar

Two Kings

Morning All,

We have recently bottled our first brew of Real Ale, and have used a variety of bottle sizes to see what the resulting carbonation effect would be in the bottle fermentation, 330ml, 440ml, 660ml and 750. For the first two we used 1 carbonation drop , and 2 for the second sizes, will this be enough , can one combine drops and brewers sugar to make up the amount?, what would the correct process be in determining the right amount to add.

Happy brewing

Dave

Dave - your better off bulk priming when using a variety of bottle sizes. Eg. For a 23L batch you can add 180g dextrose to about 1 cup of boiling water in a saucepan and boil for a few mins (personal carbonation preference comes into play here but I reckon 180g is a safe bet - I'd go 160g for a stout though). Add this to an empty fermentor. Now connect your full fermentor to the fermentor with the sugar solution and drain the beer into the empty vessel to mix with the sugar solution (Connect them tap to tap with some food grade hose).

You can then bottle away into any size bottle and be confidnet that carbonation will be consistent [biggrin]

Add this to an empty fermentor. Now connect your full fermentor to the fermentor with the sugar solution and drain the beer into the empty vessel to mix with the sugar solution (Connect them tap to tap with some food grade hose).

Muddy not sure I understand you entirely - What does connecting it via a second FV do?

wouldn't it it be the same as just tipping the boiled sugar + water into one FV and then bottling immediately? Perhaps adding a bit more sugar to allow for the dregs you can't get out of the FV.

Archived