Coopers Community

chocolate malt

BrentW2

I have been given 1 kg of chocolate malt grain, anyone got any ideas on how i can use this?? i have around 70gm of east kent golding hops left over from when i made my 1st SMOTY (All gone now so will have to make another batch) but have quite a good LHS so sourcing other hops wont be a problem.

Any idea will be appreciated.

Brent

I've got some chocolate malt as well. It is whole and I'm not sure about the best way to break it up. I was thinking that a quick buzz in my coffee grinder would be the way to go, but the I talked to my brother and he mentioned that if you break up the husks too much it can have adverse effects. Something about tannins and off flavors. Now I'm thinking that I may need to invest in a rolling pin and some really heavy zip lock bags...

I want to use the chocolate malt as an additive to one of the dark beers I put down. I haven't decided which one I want to try it with first though...

Choc Malt grains will make an excellent addition to SMOTY.

Use about 200g.

Excellent idea, was never a big dark drinker until i brewed a SMOTY, they not even 3mth old and almost gone.

Went to the pub recently and had a Mangatainoka Dark that had very distinctive chocolatey flavour to it that was very nice

break up the husks too much it can have adverse effects. Something about tannins and off flavors.

No, boiling the grains can do this, it's not related to how severely the grains are crushed - mind you, the grains need only be crushed enough to get to the 'good gear' on the inside [biggrin] [cool]

Hi Slurtis and PB2 good to know that if you smash your grain up to small it wil not extract tannins and astringent flavors.PB2 do you think if we break up the grain very small that it will contribute to chill haze or other issues cosmetic or not.Just starting with grain and it would be good to know[happy]

i wouldnt put grains in a coffee grinder unless you are doing a 'brew in a bag' brew. For speciality grains, i just put them in a zip lock bag and get the rolling pin out and go over them a few times just to crack them open. Thats all you need

• 2 weeks later...
Choc Malt grains will make an excellent addition to SMOTY.

Use about 200g.

Sterling idea Paul will give it a bash over the weekend after cricket.

never used grains before can you or anyone give me a run down on how to do this please. I know u have to crush the grains with a rolling pin or something similar. But how much water shall i use, how long to boil, does it need to be cooled before adding to the wort etc.

Sorry if this post dont make to mauh sence i been drinking for 5 hrs and so far the total is 1 bottle of sav blanc and quite a few bottles of coppers mex cerveza

Ok heres what im thinking, brewing the smoty per recipe and adding the 200gm of choc malt grain as paul suggested. Im thinking boiling the grain in about 3 litres water for 20min then adding to the fermenter.

Am i on the right track here or if anyone can advise a different method then pls do.

Thanks

Brent

Brent, the method Brian linked to above is a good one. Go to the 'steeping specialty grains' section. As has been mentioned a few times in this thread, don't boil the grain, steep it in hot water. Boiling brings out tannins etc.

Boil the liquid you have after removing the grain.

Cheers

Dan

Archived