Coopers Community

My home brew tastes like molasses... not once but twice!

2Cats

We've been home brewing for a few years now, mostly just kit & kilo. More recently we have started to venture into adding hops and trying out new recipes. Recent rave reviews were for a Pale Ale with added hops (can't tell you which - that's hubby's domain). We have had two 'bad' batches of beer - the problem being that they taste like molasses. One was a 'Draught' which we were told was very popular and well liked and the other was an Indian Pale Ale. The Draught (now 4 months old) has always tasted like molasses - no question, it's very strong in flavour. The IPA is not as strong, but still has that molasses-syrupy type flavour and is nothing like an IPA should be. We are very thorough with cleaning and sterilising the equipment and the bottles and bottle the brew at the right time. Different sugars were used in each batch and we have had a successful pale ale in between these two shockers. Hubby is a bit disappointed as we've never had a bad batch before... pride is dented a little. [lol] Any advice will be appreciated. Let me know if you need more info.

what type of sugars did you use? fermentation temperature?

To me it sounds like results of fermentation - that can be caused by sugars you use and fermentation temperatures.

Here is what I copy/pasted from net, direct quote:

"Molasses Aromas and flavors of raw sugar cane, molasses, or black treacle, treacley, also sometimes referred to as Cracker Jack flavor. Molasses notes may occur in sorghum-based beers (used for making gluten-free beers)."

I have tried once just bottle priming with plain sugar (made from beet) and it gave me sour/unclean smell for about week till it thankfully went away. I would not call it molasses, but might be same cause - different sugars will give you different flavors, the more you use them, stronger it will be.

Also, fermentation temperature is VERY important - if you ferment in hot enviroment, beer will have more fruity/cidery smells - in your case, more molasses

P.S.

Have you tried brewing using beer kit enhancers or dry/liquid malt extracts or plain brewing sugar? I think, using those will remedy the problem if the cause is what I wrote above.

all i can say mate is if he hasn't had a bad brew yet 1/2 his luck i have had a few infected like my most recent aust pale ale man that was a shocker, but in re your question would have to agree with andris i made a draught with brew enhancer 2 and one with dextrose the be2 was quite nice the dex well wasn't 1 of my finest hours

Archived