Coopers Community

Infected Brew

MattC9

Just recently brewed a lager which has become infected, I have checked with the brew shop and just as I thought they said to tip it out. They also suggest I throw out the plastics fermenter drum as the next brew in it would also become infected..

Has any had this happen to them before and they found a way to get rid of the infection still in the fermenter. This is a reasonably new fermenter and would prefer not to toss if I dont have too.

Thanks

They also suggest I throw out the plastics fermenter drum as the next brew in it would also become infected..

All i can say is that advice is terrible. Scrub all the crud out of the FV, including all the threads with nappysan, or homebrew detergent. Rinse. Then put a cup (yes a cup) of unsented bleach and let soat overnight. Then drain and rinse very very well. You will be right after that, just sanitise again before your next brew. Dont go back to that home brew shop if thats the advice your going to get. Cheers

i know when i have off beers, not by the appearance, but by the taste and smell. It usually smells like burnt cabbage and chemicals mixed with fart and other excreatment, and when you taste it you get worried that your going to loose a tooth. [lol]

I figure if it smells and tastes like crap when you bottle it, chances are it is infected and not worth going on with the bottling procedure.

Archived