Coopers Community

Vegetable enzyme supplement

MattC10

Hi all. I found a recipe for pumpkin ale that recommends adding several tablets of vegetable enzyme supplement to the wert before pitching yeast... supposedly this will digest carbs (I suppose from the pumpkin and extra ingredients) that the yeast cannot. Can anyone tell me if this an absolutely necessary step? I have only been able to find this enzyme as a tablet such as one will find in a health-food or vitamin store, and frankly it just seems weird! Thanks!

Would expect enzyme to break down complex carbohydrate into simple sugars. Might be important if you are striving to get as much fermentable sugar as possible out of the pumpkin addition. But the pumpkin is more for adding flavour, yeah?

Hi PB2, thanks for responding! I do believe that the tablets were added to do exactly what you said. My point of confusion is that I am going to add the pumpkin to a complete extract kit (Real Ale) \u2014 which will have the requisite amount of sugar...so if the pumpkin is for flavor, is it absolutely necessary that I add the enzyme?

Archived