Coopers Community

Just checking

Martyn

Roasted malt is roasted barley?

Have got 500g of roasted barley in readiness for doing the Anzac Ale recipe and could only get hold of a 500g bag from the LHBS[crying] .'It only cost $3 for the bag' the LHBS guy said, oh well thats ok then!

After I've done the Anzac Ale how could I use the remaining roasted barley in any future brew recipes as I've never used it before? How can it be used, is it just crush, steep and strain or can you boil it with hops then strain? What does it add to a beer?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Martyn.

Martyn,

I add about 100 - 200g of crushed, steeped and strained roasted barley (un-malted) to my stouts. It adds dark colour and a burnt/nutty/coffee flavour. You can also add it to porters or dark ales, maybe not so much.

I wouldn't boil it, the tannins could be way too much.

Dan

Both are from barley.

Roasted Barley - barley roasted - leaves a drier finish to the beer. Dry stout, such as Guinness. Was used as a coffee substitue in the old days.

Roasted Malt or Black Malt - barley put through the malting process then roasted. Aromas like licorice and chocolate. Sweet stout such as Coopers Best Extra Stout.

The Irish Red Ale recipe uses roasted barley.

It says on the pack 'made by roasting unmalted barley at high kiln temps'.

So, as the Anzac Ale recipe calls for 50g roast malt,I take it I have brought the wrong ingredient or would this still go some way to the desired effect of the recipe? Confused.com here[crying]

Cheers for your help,

Martyn.

Archived