Coopers Community

to bottle or not to bottle?

Keano

Hi all, I'm new to the world of home brew and have a quick question. I just started my first brew using the Coopers Original Lager with Brew Enhancer 1 kit. Its been brewing for 7 Days now and it looks like the fermentation is complete, brew was kept at 22-26 degrees. I've taken hydrometer readings today and yesterday and both read 1020 which seems too high. Question is do I bottle now or leave in the fermenter and hope the hydrometer readings come down further?

Hi there,

I wouldnt bottle with an SG that high with those ingredients. Are you using cling wrap as the seal? If so, can you see any tiny little bubbles raising to the surface? If so, its still fermenting. Either way, leave it another 7 days and check again. The extra time in the tub wont do the beer any harm. If its the same in a week, perhaps you are reading your hydrometer wrong or the yeast is old. Make sure you give the hydrometer a good spin, dunk it a few times etc before you read it. Also make sure it reads accurate in 20 degree water and make adjustments as necessary. With those ingregients, you should be looking between 1008 - 1012.

BE1 should finish in the 1010 to 1014 range.

Check that your hydro reads 1000 in water at 20degC.

If you are bottling into PET there is no huge issue if the brew is short of FG, you can always crack the screwtops to allow some gas to escape.

Another 7 days in FV should not hurt it either [biggrin]

Archived