Coopers Community

Coopers APA K&K

karlos_1984

15 hours ago, Beerlust said:

No answers to any of my questions from Karlos tells me corners were cut & certain important readings & monitoring aspects were never done.

His current situation is typically the end result.

Lusty.

No corners were cut. I just didn't have my numbers at hand the other day when I had a spare couple of minutes and a brief glance at the replies. No need to rubbish me for it,  or assume I'm blaming yeast etc. 

Just FYI lusty, 

OG 1040

FG 1008

All ingredients were within date by a couple months. 

I used 8 stubbies of Cooper's session ale to reactivate yeast. Used the same amount of Dex per stub as outlined on the Cooper's diy yeast video on YouTube. Water was preboiled.

Give it 2 X daily shakes in a sanitised coke bottle for about a week then stored in the fridge for a week. Made the brew up and poured off some of the wort, swirled around to rouse the yeast then pitched it. 

17 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yeah but the whole reactivation process is too much of a pain in the arse for me. 

It may seem strange but boiling a small wort on my work break then pitching some yeast into it later the same night seems easier than faffing around with dregs from multiple stubbies then making another two starters to build it up sufficiently before it's even pitched into a batch. 

Maybe one day when I have time on my hands. 😜

No need to do it that way mate. Just buy a 6 pack. Drink it over a couple of nights. Carefully pour and then swish the dregs and put it into a sanitised jar in the fridge adding for each beer. It’s enough to build a 1.5L starter. No different from making a normal starter out of saved yeast. 

Archived