Coopers Community

Pre secondary....fining???

FamilyGuy

Hi everyone. I'm brand new to this and have been reading up heaps on the net but feel it better to get an answer from those in the know.

My first ever brew (Lager) from the micro kit is nearing the end of primary. I'm hoping without the use of finings to clear it up by means of removing it from the controlled temp cabinet (@ 24 deg) when primary has finished and leave it out in the colder garage air for a couple of days to allow it to settle further. Question being, is letting it cool down to maybe around 16-18 degc going to effect the secondary fermentation once bottled. The intention is to place bottles back into the temp controlled cabinet @ 24 degc.

I'm not a fan of cloudy beer.

Thanks in advance for any help.

The beer needs yeast in suspension to be able to go through secondary fermentation in bottle. Draw out too much yeast and the beer may struggle to develop enough fizz.[pinched]

If you are using PETs, it's just a matter of standing them when they are conditioning and the yeast will settle into the feet of the bottles. The beer is easily decanted from the yeast when serving.

The longer they stand the more they will clear. [cool]

I've made the same brew and it came out suprisingly clear without any finings/gelatine... most of the stuff in suspension drops out in secondary ferment and stays at the bottom of the bottle as PB says.

Try a batch without it and see what you think. Mine wasn't cloudy at all, nothing like a pale ale if thats what your thinking of.

Archived