Coopers Community

Storage Temp?

MattC8

Hello All,

I'm new to brewing and so I'm looking for some informed opinion. I am currently using a small storage cupboard for my fermenter with an average temp of about 21 degrees. Brews seem to ferment in there quite well but it is small and therefore unsuitable for long term beer storage once I've bottled. Currently I put them in another room with about the same average temp. However I have the option of keeping them in the Garage which is much cooler as it is underground (average temp between 13 -16 degrees).

However, I live in an apartment block which means its a shared Garage. That means that its not just my car (and exhaust) in the air. There is about 10 other cars. That means there is usually a thin film of dust/exhaust on everything.

My question is: Is it better to use the Garage for long term storage? Is there a greater risk of beers going bad? Does a lower temp for Long term storage make any difference to the beer?

Obviously I would wash/rinse the bottles before opening.

Any comments would be appreciated

Regards,

Matt

Hi Matt,

I'd keep the bottles in your cupboard for a couple of weeks until they are carbed up and then move them to the cooler garage. You should put them in a box or cupboard down there to keep them out of the light (and safe from dust etc.). The cooler temps would be better for long term storage.

Archived