Coopers Community

coopers yeast reculture - when to pitch

ninja_drift

first time reculturing coopers yeast, plenty of info on how to do it but none on the signs of when to actually pitch it. I have had a light foam on top as seen in the photo with a slight amount of yeast on the liquid level stuck to the out side of glass which is the normal when i clean out fermenter after brew.

so i believe its activated but how can you tell when its activated enough...

also i only just put it on the heat pad yesterday to try and keep temps up, but then today i just realised i may have adverse effects from the direct heat on the yeast: should i be worried?

p8040515.jpg

Jamie,

I have only re-cultured the Coopers yeast twice, but both worked. I had the same set up as you but no heat pad, after 2-3 days sitting on the bench in the kitchen (probably a temp range of 16 - 22 or so) everytime I swirled it it fizzed and the glad wrap bubbled. Chucked the whole lot in the fermenter and after 12 or so hours there was obvious fermenting action.

Cheers

Dan

Yep, if you can see tiny buubles rising and foaming when you swirl it, it should be active enough to pitch.

Have a smell of it - looking for fruity, beer aromas [cool] [cool] not eggy, vinegar, medicinal or almond essence aromas [pinched] [pinched]

So i pitched my recultured yeast in 7 days ago, it took about 24 hours to take off but then it was going fine, now fermentation is slowing down to the point I took my first hydrometer reading.... the brew started at 1040 and is now only at 1020.... the temp has been constant at 20 degrees...

so the question is does the coopers yeast keep fermenting at slow rates or is it pretty well done... and should i reculture more yeast and get it happening....

this brew tastes and smells awesome i just dont wanna be stuck with 2.7% beer is all....

thanks

gave it 48 hours and activity has pretty well stopped at 1018.... cant see it dropping any more over time (only dropped 1 point in 48 hours)

should i try and recultivate some more coopers yeast (take a couple of days)

or just pitch in the packet yeast?

bit nervous stiring it, but did and it took back off with in hours.... couple of days later FG at 1010 and no signs of any foul play, bottled and waiting to sample.

think i have pinpointed why it stalled, when i pitched the recultivated yeast i didnt disturb the yeast cake on the bottom of the bottle and just tipped in the suspended yeast....

just to confirm next time i should give it a bit of a shake and get the yeast cake in the wort as well?

Archived