Coopers Community

Pitching Yeast

Barnie

Hi all

When pitching the yeast, do you stir the yeast in or do you just sprinkle the packet over the top and then screw the lid on. Also if there is foam on the top should you delay pitching the yeast

Barnie

my suggestion is ( and anyone with more experience please correct me ) if you using dry yeast sprinkle it, if you rehydrating or making a starter or using liquid yeast then stir it.......this is my opinion from what i'v read on HB forums.......if anyone has more experience then please correct me if im wrong because when it comes to HB'ing... too much info is never a bad thing[happy]

as for the foam on top if the wort is at a reasonable Temp for me i try to aim for 18 - 24'c when i pitch yeast ( is what i aim for ) but you could stech that to 27'c it all depends on what yeast you are using... maybe somone else could answer this one better

Yeah basically what Andrew said [roll]

Sprinkle dry yeast and stir liquid yeast. I never rehydrate dry yeast but a lot of people do - It is a good way to assess the viability of the yeast I guess, and hasten the start of fermentation but I don't bother.

No worries about the foam as an aerated wort at the start of fermentation makes the yeast happy.

Archived