Coopers Community

Brewer's Yeast Question

MattC10

Well, I have just finished the last bottle of my very first batch of home brew. I made the Australian Lager and it turned out GREAT! I was so delighted with the flavor and character of it that I am going to make another batch right away!

Before I reorder I am taking stock of what supplies I have and would like to ask you experienced brewers for some advice.

Here's the backstory... During the beginning of the fermenting process for my first batch, my airlock was not bubbling (I have since learned and now live by the mantra \u2014 ignore the airlock! Though I was able to get it going by placing some weight on the fermenter lid) so I bought another packet of brewer's yeast.

Here's the question... Now that I am reordering supplies for my next batch, should I use that packet, or order a new one? Does the yeast last a very long time on the shelf?

P.S. I realize I may seem overly cautious, but the brew turned out so well that I don't want to take any chances with the second batch! Thanks in advance for your insights!

As long as the pack isn't too old (It sounds like it shouldn't be from your post) and has been kept at a reasonably low temp it should be ok. However, you don't say what type of yeast it is - if it is crap yeast it will still be crap even if it is fresh. Yeast type will make a huge difference to the final taste of the beer. If you're not buying a specific yeast for a specific style I'd just go with the one that comes with the new kit you order - If it is coopers yeast and you were happy with it the first time you'll be happy the second time.

There's no huge rush to experiment as it is good to get the basic brewing practices down pat rather than biting off too much from the get go. But down the line you should look at experimenting with different yeasts and hops to see just what they can add to a beer. Read up about yeasts and see what people have to say about what different strains add to different beers.

Oh..and like you wisely say, ignore the airlock [lol]

Archived