Coopers Community

Stout Priming...

IanM12

right then, after having to throw my last batch out because i am a stupid bastard and cant read instructions properly, (i added nearly a kilo of dextrose to 23litres of beer to prime, instead of 180g) i decided to brew a stout next.

i have wanted to brew a stout for a while, but i had always considered it 'anti-social' because none of my friends drink stout, but then i thought, bugger it, it's only $15.

i think i will stick to priming each bottle individually this time, rather than bulk priming. unless i can be strongly persueded otherwise.

now, i read in the instructions to use 2 carbonation drops per bottle (750ml) but i am a bit concerned this will make my stout 'too fizzy'. yes i want it to be able to make its own head, but a stout as fizzy as a lager doesn't appeal to me.

I used brew enhancer 2 and coopers stout malt. will 2 carbonation drops make it too fizzy, or will the nature of the stout mean that 2 drops it just right. i was thinking of just adding 1 drop, but wanted some experienced peoples knowledge before i wasted ANOTHER 23 litres!!!

thanks

Hi Ian - The usual recommendation for stout is to use 1 drop per 750ml. This works well however my personal preference for stout is to bulk prime with 160g of dex.

[biggrin] While I'm dishing out "my recommendations" I'd also suggest lashing out and buying a can of coopers dark ale to go with the stout can. By using 1 x Coopers Stout, 1 x Coopers dark ale with 1kg of dex (with both kit yeasts or a re-cultured coopers commercial yeast) to 23L you will turn out a stout very similar to the commercial Cooper's Best Extra. You may have to spend a little more but it is worth it - Just let them age and enjoy them on special occasions.

• 2 weeks later...

great, thanks very much. good to know i'm on the right track at least.

'homestyle' best extra, ay?

do the words 'decadent' and 'homebrew' feature very often in the same sentence?

i will let you know if i ever try that one!!

I primed my stout (to the 'stouter stout' recipe) with two carbonation drops and thought it was fine. I did however drink a lot of it out of one of those etched 'headmaster' glasses, so the carbonation comes out quickly ending up with a great head on the beer but not too bubbly to follow.

I'm brewing one of the toucan stouts Muddy mentioned this weekend. Looking forward to that one. It's my third stout in my last 6 brews, you can see where I'm heading here.[lol]

Archived