Coopers Community

Does this initial gravity seem right? (Green Neck Lager)

Sven

G'day all,

I'm working my way through Paul's recipes and have the Green Neck Lager on the go as we speak. Info below. I'd been up in Cairns for 10 days and found it at 10 deg. on the 8th.

I had an initial SG of 1050 which seems way to high, or is it?

Steve

BREW:\t\tCooper's European Lager - 1.7g\t\t

\t\t\t\t

SUGAR:\t\tCooper's Light Dry Malt - 0.5g\t\t

\t\t Cooper's Brew Enhancer 1 - 0.5g\t\t

\t\t\t\t

WORT VOLUME:\t\t21.0\tL\t

\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t

COMMENTS:\t\tPad heater on for 2 days\t\t

\t\t Immersion heater set to 15 deg.\t\t

\t\t Doesn't seem to be working\t\t

\t \tPad heater turned back on June 8\t\t

DATE SG TEMP

27-Jun-10\t 1050 \t22.4

8-Jul-10\t 1030 10.0

10-Jul-10\t 1017 15.5

i noticed the 3 SG readings have vastly different temps. hydrometer's are calebrated to a certin temp ( for instance the hydrometer you get with the coopers HB kit is calibrated @ 20'c ) so you will get correct readings if the sample is @ that temp

try this hyrometer temp correction calculator

http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/r...ydrometer.html?12461394

you can set for 'C or 'F aswell as the temp at which your hydrometer is calibrated

Okey-dokey. So the Green Neck Lager has sort of stalled. I'm happy to let it keep fermenting but here are the numbers. Please tell me what you think.....

DATE\tTIME\tDAYS\tGRAVITY\tALCOHOL\tTEMP.

\t\t\tSG\t% by volume\tdegrees C

27-Jun-10\t8pm\t0.0\t1050.000\t0.0\t22.4

8-Jul-10\t4.40pm\t11.0\t1030.000\t2.6\t10.0

10-Jul-10\t1pm\t13.0\t1017.000\t4.3\t15.5

12-Jul-10\t8.30am\t15.0\t1015.000\t4.6\t15.8

14-Jul-10\t2.50pm\t17.0\t1015.000\t4.6\t15.3

Sven, I think it might be done. I made the green neck lager recipe exactly as yours about 2 months ago, and bottled at 1015. I didn't have the OG as I forgot to dispense the first draw of liquid (which made the reading very high and unreliable). Cracked one open last week and it was rather nice, considering it had only been in the bottle for 3 weeks. I reckon it's done and you should bottle it, but I would wait until a few others chime in who've also had experience with this recipe.

I would personally say it is finished and has been for a couple of days. & the rate you are taking samples you won't have anything left to drink!!!

The DME will not fully ferment out & the Maltodex in the BE1 won't ferment out at all leaving you with a higher FG.

My advise (and lots here won't like me for it) is ditch the Hydro and leave your brews to ferment for 2 weeks (ales) & 3 weeks (lagers) minimum.

Now I'll sit back and wait for the rocks to be thrown...[biggrin]

If it is any help, my Green Neck started at about the same OG (I think I got 1049 from memory)and finished at 1010 after about 2 weeks. [Edit: my memory is rubbish - OG was 1046 - sorry!]

I followed the recipe but added some carapils, hops and also Saflager AND kit yeast.

Dan

I would personally say it is finished and has been for a couple of days. & the rate you are taking samples you won't have anything left to drink!!!

I'll take 5 tests of 100mL each over 17 days. I'm hardly going to miss 500mL, am I?

I reckon I'll give it until Sunday arvo. Then I'll bottle it. By the way, I have found the bulk priming with a hose connecting the spigot of the fermenter to that of another one has worked a treat.

Archived