Coopers Community

First Tasting...perhaps too soon?

MattC10

Hello all, happy to be here. I just tasted my first batch of lager...which I have been looking forward to for weeks! I am a little disappointed. I bottle fermented for one week, and conditioned for another week in a dark box at a consistent temperature of between 22 and 24 Celsius. Yesterday I placed one beer in the fridge, noticed a chill haze but am not overly concerned about that. What does concern me is a distinct lack of carbonation... Is it possible that I tasted the beer too soon? Will carbonation continue if I let the beer sit longer? I welcome the advice of all of you experienced brewers!

Hi. I would have to say the brew was lacking BOTH. There were few bubbles in the beer and almost no head on top. When I poured it into a glass it did get a somewhat foamy head for a little while, however this very quickly dissipated. If I had to describe the flavor I would say it tasted sort of flat. I appreciate your help, and I am trying to focus on the fact that even a (dare I say it?) failure is an important learning opportunity!

Archived