Coopers Community

no bubbles

JoeB2

Hello all,

I have just purchased the brewing Kit and am 5 days in. I notice that their has not been any bubbling out the airlock apart from when I have to tilt the cylinder so I can turn the tap on to take a sample for hydrometer. Is it bad to tilt I was thinking it might cause oxygen to get in. I also notice a brown scum layer along one side is this a sign of contamination?

Also why isnt it bubbling i have a good seal?

Joe,

How are the hydrometer readings going? If the SG has fallen nicely don't stress about the airlock.

My first brew bubbled like crazy, the second didn't even burp, but they both fermented just fine.

Bottle when the SG is stable for 2 days is what I keep hearing [biggrin]

When the foam subsides it leaves crud on the side, so as long as the beer smells OK you shoul be fine.

Good luck with the brew

Cheers

Dan

Joe,

How are the hydrometer readings going? If the SG has fallen nicely don't stress about the airlock.

My first brew bubbled like crazy, the second didn't even burp, but they both fermented just fine.

Bottle when the SG is stable for 2 days is what I keep hearing [biggrin]

When the foam subsides it leaves crud on the side, so as long as the beer smells OK you shoul be fine.

Good luck with the brew

Cheers

Dan

Thanks Dan,

Hydrometer has fallen to about 1020 just thought it was weird that it hasnt bubbled but long as its doing sumthing its allgood.

Also priming with household sugar, do you just add in 8g of sugar per 750 first fill with beer cap and swish around? Was thinking of just adding 180g to the wort in the container but read in the instructions that u have to transfer to another container, any ideas why?

Hi Joe - I guess you could add 180g of sugar straight to your primary fermentor but you would be stirring up all the crub at the bottom and it would make your beer very cloudy (and chewy [lol] ). By adding the sugar solution (dissolved in about a cup of boiling water) to a secondary vessel and then decanting just the beer into this you are leaving all the crap behind and just keeping the good stuff.

Also priming with household sugar, do you just add in 8g of sugar per 750 first fill with beer cap and swish around?

I'm not sure if I'm reading this right but what you do is add the 8g of sugar to the empty bottle, fill with beer and cap and invert the bottles a few times to mix the sugar a bit. Alternatively use carbonation drops - too easy [biggrin]

As for the airlock not bubbling - don't worry about it air has a habit of finding alternative ways out. Look for foam on top of the beer and condensation on inside of the lid as these are good signs that fermentation is happening. Your hydrometer will tell you when fermentation is complete. Don't rush it - it is better to bottle a few days late than a few days early.

Archived