Coopers Community

fermenting

MattC9

Hey All,

I have just done a SG and its at 1015 it is a Euro Lager and has been fermenting for 9 days now, as this is my first time brewing would this be ready to bottle or should I wait longer? I really just dont want to stuff it up...

Cheers

g'day matt,

unless you used like 1.5kg of light dry malt, 1015 is too high.

when ya ask a question like the above , give us all ya recipe and temps you fermeneted at etc pump us full of info and soemone will help ya!

if your not sure, DONT BOTTLE IT, even if ya have too wait 2 days for a reply.

ok to your question: if you used 1kg of light dry malt you should get a final gravity of about 1012 to 1014 in my experience.

if you used used 1kg brew enhancer 2 you should get about 1010-1012.

brew enhancer 1 1008-1010.

1kg dextrose 1004-1006.

TO REALLY HELP YOU WE NEED TO KNOW DID YOU USE YEAST PROVIDED?

AND AT WHAT TEMP DID YOU FERMENT?

AND WHAT ADJUNCTS DID YOU USE ( BREWW ENHANCER ETC ETC).

dont bottle it mate..... put more info on here n someone will help ya out!![cool]

cheers

matt

ok I have used 1kg of suger from the brew shop and a 1.7kg tin for the brew,I haven't used any enhancers.At he start dropped the yeast in at 21c and had a OG reading of 1040 to start however the temp dropped to about 14c for about 5-6 days did another reading and it was 1020 during the week.Yesterday was 1016 and today about 1015 and temp is about 13c.

I have used a lager yeast supplied from a HBS.

Have not had any airlock action for the past 2 days but they say this doesn't matter..

Cheers Matt

ALL SOUNDS GOOD MATE!!

forget the airlock, its like ya tonsils.....they do jack shit except flare up every now n then!

at 13 degrees it will take about 18 -21 days 'ish to ferment!

TRUST YOUR HYDROMETER!!

ok, THE SUGAR: DEXTROSE WILL FERMENT OUT COMPLETLY!

LIGHT DRY MALT AND MALTODEXTRINE AND SOME OTHERS WILL ONLY FERMENT OUT LIKE 70% FOR EXAMPLE, WHICH THEREFORE CHANGES YOUR FINAL GRAVITY!

IF you remmeber the sugar you used e.g. dextrose or light dry malt .... let us know.... if not tell us what your gravity is after 18 days?????

or just get the same gravity over say 3 days in a row and it should be right to bottle.....kepp the temp above 12 and all will be good! aim for 12-16 degrees!

13 is beautiful with a lager yeast!

you still got at least 6 days to go at that temp, should be a good beer!

cheers

matt

Archived