Coopers Community

Just tried my first batch tonight!

MichaelP4

Just on three weeks after bottling my first brew (lager) and I'm pleasantly surprised to say it's great!

Am a little worried about the 2nd batch though, I accidentally poured in about 700ml or so too much water. Oh and Poured the water in before I put the sugar in...(was having a bad day) and the hydrometer was only reading 1010 for 3 days in a row.(Though it was cold- and I read how that can stray the hydrometers readings). But on taste test that 2nd batch still tasted like decent (full-strength)beer to me, not weak, or like a light beer as the hydrometer indicated... Am I just being too paranoid?

After reading alot of different posts on here, it seems there's A LOT more variables in homebrewing than I realised!

Congrats on your first batch. I am no expert but 700ml extra water is of no concern. As for the slow ferment it is my understanding that larger yeast can stand a little cold. Hope all goes well mate. I am sure some of the gurus here will have some sound advise [cool]

I think it's because it is technically an ale, but a really decent copy of a Lager. Ale is more forgiving to brew, thus it's beginner friendly[happy] I like the fact that I can get a good ale or lager without using a brew fridge. I will have a brew fridge soon though, then I can start experimenting with the lagers a little better. I've made a few batches of the Pilsner and they've been alright but not really stellar lagers. I think temp control has been the issue [annoyed] A brew fridge and a little more patience should fix that.

Hmm, I forget what the difference between Original Gravity and Final gravity is. It's just the first and last times you tested it right? If so it was 1010, which is why I thought the reading was wrong, because surely just putting in that extra bit of water isn't going to dilute it so it's a 1% beer ( according to the hydrometer)...

Needless to say, I have A LOT to learn... Going to make another brew this weekend probably in time for the late July snow trip to Mt Hotham wooo!

I think it's because it is technically an ale' date=' but a really decent copy of a Lager. Ale is more forgiving to brew, thus it's beginner friendly[happy'] I like the fact that I can get a good ale or lager without using a brew fridge. I will have a brew fridge soon though, then I can start experimenting with the lagers a little better. I've made a few batches of the Pilsner and they've been alright but not really stellar lagers. I think temp control has been the issue [annoyed] A brew fridge and a little more patience should fix that.

I agree with this. I just did my first batch and was readig about how lager needed to be kept at a colder temp but the instructions in the cooper kit said to keep it way higher. After tasting my batch it is no where close to a lager. it is a really good ale. Cooper really needs to improve the instructions for us first timers. It is very confusing but turns out OK. My beer has gotten rave reviews from friends that are hardcore beer drinkers.

Hmm, I forget what the difference between Original Gravity and Final gravity is. It's just the first and last times you tested it right? If so it was 1010, which is why I thought the reading was wrong, because surely just putting in that extra bit of water isn't going to dilute it so it's a 1% beer ( according to the hydrometer)...

I was hoping for a direct answer to my question...[pinched]

The hydrometer measures the density of the fluid with respect to water. The hydrometer can't be used to measure alcohol content.

Draw off a sample immediately after the brew is made up to the desired volume and mixed thoroughly. Discard the first 50 to 100 ml then fill the sample tube about 3/4 full and float the hydrometer in it to measure the Specific Gravity (SG). This is the Original Gravity (OG).

Once the brew has been left to ferment for 6 days or so, take a sample each day and measure the SG. Once SG is stable over 2 days (or 3 if you want to be sure to be sure), this is Final Gravity (FG). The figure you quote (1010) looks like a FG.

Oh ok, I never tested it initially, just waited the 6 days, then tested on the 6th got a reading of 1010, then the 7th day 1010, then the 8th 1010, and then I figured maybe the temperature affected the reading? So I bottled it anyway. Just looked @ my hydrometer then, and it says (potential alcohol by volume) so I guess this means it's only an estimate. Regardless, hopefully it turns out well.

I doubt I'll be able to make any beers rivaling commercial beers, so for the time being, it's just to make it palatable enough to get me drunk ! heh

Hi Michael

If I understand you correctly you took the FG reading and looked at the corresponding reading on the alcohol scale which said 1%?

If you want to use this alc scale to approximate your alc level you need to take the corresponding alc reading from your OG (orginal gravity) and subtract it from your corresponding alc reading of the FG to obtain your alc level.

If you want to work it our more accurately use the formula from the lid instructions:

(1054(OG) - 1012(FG)) / 7.46 + 0.5 = 6.1%ABV

(The 0.5 is the alchol produced during secondary fermentation in the bottle - assumption that you are bottling)

Hope this helped.

Archived