Coopers Community

Special old stout

Rutherglen Rambler

A question for anyone at Coopers. I was reading Glenn Cooper's profile in the about us section and saw that he is responsible for developing new products, and came accross special old stout. I would like to know when it was developed and if you still make it? If so can i get it in Victoria? Can you tell me a bit about what it is / was like?

Special Old Stout (many people incorrectly called it Vintage Stout) was essentially the old recipe of Best Extra Stout - when it weighed in at 6.8%ABV - with a minimum of 6 mths bottle age prior to release for sale.

The idea popped into Glenn's head, back in the early 1990s, following a tasting of deliberately aged kegged Coopers stout at the Lord Nelson Hotel (Sydney). He said, "It displayed a smoothness I had not tasted in a Stout before."

The first release of SOS was in 2001. However, it was dropped from our range about 3 or so years ago.

So, the chances of seeing it available at retail are very slim.

Thats good to hear Paul!

About a year or more after Coopers moved to its current location, I bought a long neck of Sparkling from a bottle shop....I was about half way through it when i thought....(this tatse a bit diffrent) thats when i noticed on the back of the bottle a lable saying it was Sparkling from the last batch brewed at Leabrook. You could imagin how pissed off i was that i did not notice it before i drank it! :cry:

Archived