Coopers Community

europen lager, (Lagering??)

JaredW

Hi again i put down a brew of europen lager until it was at the recomended gravity for bottling, i have bottled and it is on its second week of carbonation, i have read a few things about brewing lager and im now not sure what to do, do i put the bottles in the fridge to lager?? after carbonation and for how long?? is this the right sequence or have i stuffed it up so to speek,

Hi Jared, I'm new to this stuff too but I have made a few batches of the Thomas Cooper's Pilsner (which is a lager) I've found that extended time bottle conditioning makes for a very tasty brew, even without the fancy lagering techniques mentioned on this site. I tend to ferment at the high range for lagers and still seem to have decent success, although I am stressing the yeast a bit. Good luck with your brew and my advice is to confrim that it is carbonated after a few weeks in bottles, then put it away for a month or two.

hi i have the bottles in the hot water cubbord were i keep the fermenting barrel so the temp is between 22c and 26c. it is usualy steady at 22c however on ocasion it will rise a bit higher to 26,

At this stage, the yeast should have worked sufficienlty to gas up the bottles so now they are just conditioning. You can leave them where they are or remove them to a cooler place.

Why not conduct your own experiment - over 3 mths keep two stored in the fridge, two in the cupboard and two somewhere else (not as cold as the fridge but not as warm as the cupboard). Then chill them down and do a side-by-side taste test. [biggrin]

The Coopers European Lager comes with a special low temp yeast (it's been a couple of years since my Euro Brew, I think I used Coopers Brew Enhance r#1), that being the case, I was able to place the entire fermenter in my beer fridge with the fridge temp turned to warm i.e. ~8-10 degrees. The ferment took about 2 weeks, it was winter, so the bottles carbonated at ~12 degrees. After a month - pop the top - yeah [love] , tasted just like those fine brews from Bavaria. Oh the memories [cool] . It's winter now, better put another brew on. Well done Coopers.

Gaz

Gday boys and girls!

I did one of these brews last year as recomended!

Today i bought another and am about to put it on! Im going to add to it BE2, Hallertau 15g hop bag and for the yeast i will be trying a SafLager s-23,

The yeast that comes with the kit recomends to leave the bottles for at least 12 weeks, with the yeast i am using what do you think is the min bottling time before drinking?

Cheers!

Josh :)

Assuming you have an 11.5g sachet of S-23, pitch that and the sachet that came with the kit.

Start the ferment at around 22C-24C for the first 12hrs then draw it down to lager ferment temp 12C - 15C.

You might like to taste it at 4 weeks.

Archived