Coopers Community

First Time brewer

KarlV1

Hi,

I am looking at starting home brewing for a few reasons of price and it seems like fun, But I have a question about what too brew first up.

Firstly, In the research i have done, it seems a brewing an ale is easiest to start however the fermenting temp is higher than a lager, So because i live in the snowies its coming to winter and the temp doesn't really go above 14 or 15C, and under the house I have looked at the temp range over last 2 days and it has been between 3 and 12C. Would it be easier to Brew a lager for me as my first batch because of this?

Cheers

With temps that low, you will need some method of insulating and/or warming the brew whether you make ale or lager.

We recokon it's best to go for an ale first off because ale yeast tends to be more forgiving - BTW the Lager that is supplied with our Micro-Brew Kit is, in fact, an ale.

The FAQs, link in my signature, has ideas for keeping the temp of the brew up.

would a heat belt or pad be a good option, and How much does it heat up and how much control do u have over the temperature on these, and is one better than the other

thanks

Neither device has temp control.

I use a heat pad sitting with (not directly under) the fermenting tub inside an insulated cabinet (an old fridge in this instance). I run it off a timer switch, a bit agricultural but it works for me [whistling

There is some discussion about heating methods here.

Archived