Coopers Community

Nose Surgery - Potential palate change

NorthCoast85

Hello brewers,

Just wondering if anyone has had septoplasty and/or turbinectomy done and whether it changed your palate?

Had the op last week to fix my deviated septum and hopefully get rid of my snoring/reduce sleep apnea and it all has been going well until I had my first post surgery tipple.

I had a Cricketers Arms Spearhead Pale Ale (never had before so unsure of IBU/perceived bitterness) with dinner and didn't realise how muted my senses were until I realised I couldn't really taste the beer at all.

I did however get quite a bitter bite from the beer, bordering on uncomfortable, and I'm usually pretty keen on a bitter drop . I'm sure there is some science to things being more bitter when you can't really smell/taste all the ingredients or something and realise I'll have to wait a lot longer than I thought before I can get back to tasting my creations. It did get me thinking though that maybe my palate has changed, the surgeon did say it's possible that my perception of desirable smells/tastes could change, obviously still early days, but keen to hear if anyone has had the surgery and their outcomes beer tasting wise.

Hello brewers,

Just wondering if anyone has had septoplasty and/or turbinectomy done and whether it changed your palate?

Had the op last week to fix my deviated septum and hopefully get rid of my snoring/reduce sleep apnea and it all has been going well until I had my first post surgery tipple.

I had a Cricketers Arms Spearhead Pale Ale (never had before so unsure of IBU/perceived bitterness) with dinner and didn't realise how muted my senses were until I realised I couldn't really taste the beer at all.

I did however get quite a bitter bite from the beer, bordering on uncomfortable, and I'm usually pretty keen on a bitter drop . I'm sure there is some science to things being more bitter when you can't really smell/taste all the ingredients or something and realise I'll have to wait a lot longer than I thought before I can get back to tasting my creations. It did get me thinking though that maybe my palate has changed, the surgeon did say it's possible that my perception of desirable smells/tastes could change, obviously still early days, but keen to hear if anyone has had the surgery and their outcomes beer tasting wise.

I have had the same together with an Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty operation and have found that my taste buds were not affected. I would suggest that you give it a few weeks before your smell and taste returns to normal. As my operation included both my nose and throat I did not have a beer for at least 4 weeks after the op.

Cheers,

Peter

"Don't waste time, keep drinking".

Hello brewers' date='

I did however get quite a bitter bite from the beer, bordering on uncomfortable, and I'm usually pretty keen on a bitter drop . I'm sure there is some science to things being more bitter when you can't really smell/taste all the ingredients or something and realise I'll have to wait a lot longer than I thought before I can get back to tasting my creations. It did get me thinking though that maybe my palate has changed, the surgeon did say it's possible that my perception of desirable smells/tastes could change, obviously still early days, but keen to hear if anyone has had the surgery and their outcomes beer tasting wise.[/quote']

I have had the same together with an Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty operation and have found that my taste buds were not affected. I would suggest that you give it a few weeks before your smell and taste returns to normal. As my operation included both my nose and throat I did not have a beer for at least 4 weeks after the op.

Cheers,

Peter

"Don't waste time, keep drinking".

Cheers for the response.

As soon as I had that first sip I realised it was way too early to be drinking brews.

Archived