Coopers Community

Full grain clone for Coopers Irish Stout kit

StoutMelk

Yes you read the topic right. I am trying to clone the Coopers kit.

Reason is simple. The kit tastes great and the Guinness recipe I used was a complete flop IMHO. Partly because the recipe had too little hops and partly because I had no idea the hops does not bitter very well if you boil it in 7 liters in stead of 21 liters.

I have a 20+ liter mash tun and a 36 liter pot for the boil.

So any suggestions (that are tried and tested)?

Here is my partial mash Giuness clone recipe which came out a mess:

1.65 kg DME

2 lb Carapils

.75 lb Roasted barley

.5 lb Chocolate malt

1 oz East kent Goldings 5% (60min)

S-04 yeast

19 liters

That was a lot of cara and not enough bitterness for an Irish stout mate, but I suppose the end result told you that [biggrin]

Rather than copy a recipe how about you have a quick read of

http://beersmith.com/blog/2008/03/14/brewing-an-irish-stout-beer-recipe/

It was my inspiration for the following recipe:

3.83kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter

0.55kg Oats, Flaked

0.32kg Pale Chocolate Malt

0.32kg Victory Malt

0.23kg Crystal Malt Medium

0.20kg Roasted Barley

60g EKG 60mins

11g Danstar Notto

Carapils will do a similar job in that it will provide body to the beer but 2lb is a very high amount for a conventional 19L batch, 1/2lb would probably have sufficed, then I would have added a base malt for conversion.

Since Carapils has no diastic power its basically a dextrin malt, you will have ended up with a lot of unfermentable sugars from your mash which would have made your beer very sweet.

Add that to your small bittering addition you would be a country mile away from a dry Irish stout.

I was afraid of the same thing - I received mixed information on whether Carapils needed to be mashed or steeped. Apparently US Carapils can be steeped while Belgian needs to be mashed, but the info I had at the time did not specify the diastatic power of Carapils. Then someone I met (who knows a stack about full grain brewing) said he believes Carapils will convert on its own at mash temp - so I mashed.

My initial SG was 1045 and it fermented down to 1012 in a week, so it looks as if the Carapils sugars did ferment out. I am considering boiling the fermented brew with some bittering hops for 30mins, adding sugar and fermenting it again, in an effort to save what is a pretty terrible batch of stout right now...[crying]

Maybe I will create the first almost drinkable low alcohol stout[roll]

Archived