Coopers Community

[b]Chocolate Stout Recipe[/b]

DougF

G'day fellow brewers.

I recently found a Chocolate Stout Recipe somewhere in the great wide world of the internet I like a true novice, wrote down all th ingredients, went and bought the ingrdients, went to start the brew and then realised I didn't write down the method!

And of course, I'll be buggered if I can find the recipe again!

So I was thinking if I give a list of the stuff I've bought, I was hoping one of you may be able to hel me with a good recipe/method to make a chocolate stout that I can brag to all my mates about?

The ingredients for the reipe that I found is as follows;

* 1 x Coopers Lager can

* 1 x Coopers Dark Ale can

* 0.5kg Chocolate malt (grain)

* 2.7kg Black patent malt (grain)

* 200gms Amber malt extract

* 0.5kg raw sugar

* 170gms cocoa powder

* Wyeast Irish Ale activator

* 1 x Irish Moss tablet

Now it's the first time I've attempted a choc stout but is it just me or does the 2.7kg of black patent malt seem a bit extreme?

This recipe just doesn't sound like it would give much of a chocolate flavour but more of a bitter flavour?

I'm happy to take on any advice or use another recipe tha would use these ingedients so ny help would be much appreciated!

Cheers!

Doug.

Not sure how it would turn out, but if that was the recipe then you'll need to mash those grains for 60mins at about 65-70c (the higher you mash, the thicker the beer will turn out).

After you mash and sparge you'd need to do a boil for at least 15 mins to kill off any bad stuff (put the tablet in 10mins before end of boil), then mix the rest into the FV and top up to whatever volume it called for.

Not 100% on the volume of mash water (other guys will be able to help better than me), but I'd say you'll need about 6L, with about the same for sparging (rinsing). But don't quote me on that [cool]

Not sure about your question on the flavour of it either. the 670g of chocolate related ingredients should make an impact I'd imagine.

Welcome to the forums mate,

I would have replaced the Lager with the Stout kit, same cost

Cocoa will affect your head due to the fats that are in there, people do still use it if head isnt as important.(personaly I think it is in a good stout) and you can buy cacoa nibs from the LBHS.

I reckon it would taste pretty good though mate

Now it's the first time I've attempted a choc stout but is it just me or does the 2.7kg of black patent malt seem a bit extreme?

No, it's definitely not just you. I'm no expert on this subject (gonna use both chocolate and black patent grains for my next brew, actually), but that sounds wayyyyy over the top, man. Like Paul said, the recommended amount is usually around 10 % of the total grain bill. I'm under the impression that excessive amounts will give the beer a bitter, charcoal-like taste.

Archived