Coopers Community

first partial extract

lachlanb

hello everyone and happy friday.

Just thought id fill yous in with the brew ive put down this arvo. and welcome any thoughts.

Its a mix of golden ale recipes ive seen. i would have gone the dr smurtos golden ale but didnt have a sparkling ale can on hand. so this is what i did.

250g steeped crystal malt.

20g amarillo hops @ 30 mins.

30g amarillo hops @ 10 mins

will dry hop in a few days . 30g

1 can of light malt extract

1 can of wheat malt extract.

saf us-05 yeast.

Any thoughts of how this will turn out? its my first experience with anything other that instructions on the can so my fingers are crossed! my mrs is edgy that im wasting money, im trying to prove to her that its much cheaper to make my own beer than buy it so i want this one to be a cracker.- were saving our cash to go over seas at the end of the year. really lookin forward to that. going to europe, uk and the states. i think im most looking forward to ireland.

anyways thanks :)

Hey Lachlan,

I remenber when I did my first partial extract [love] it was only a few months ago... It was the Ashes Ale I mentioned in your post about a brew for manly locals... I know what you are going through! The anticiaption is unbearable![pinched] The biggest thing I noticed was the increased flavour and aroma you get and I think it is becasue of the steeped crystal malt and the hop additions. Someone more experienced might like to comment here!![crying] Good luck with it and elt us know what it goes like

Ollie.

Nice one Lachlan. Ive brewed something very similar to this one before and its a very nice drop. Up the 30 min addition to 30g drop the 10min addition to 20g and drop the dry hop to 20 -25g. Brew it at 16-18 degrees with US-05 for a very clean taste. [love]

• 2 weeks later...

That IS Dr Smurtos Golden Ale (extract version)

However your hop schedule is going to give you a low IBU of around 13 - quite a malty beer but from memory JSGA is malt driven with an IBU of slightly less than 20.

I also would drop the dry hop to 15-20 grams.

The trick for you is to make a brew that your mrs (swmbo) really likes (perhaps a cider flavoured with fresh/frozen fruit).

Archived