Coopers Community

Newbie - ahhh! Something not right - infection?

mistylane

This is batch #3 - using Coopers Wheat beer and coopers extract. The shop gave me a yeast sachet to use.

All went ok - then on day 3 I smell a fairly strong off-putting smell. Now I do not know if this batch is infected or not - is there a way of telling?

The batch is probably ready to bottle (SG stable) but what's the use of bottling goop? My first ever batch kinda smealt and tasted similar but turned out pretty good???

Is there a known way of telling if a fermented batch is bad?? Should I take a swig of it before bottleing and do the old "well if I chuck it must be bad" test?

Yeah I took a swig - "drinkable" and I did not get any "gee I wanna chuck" feeling (although after a bottle I think I would be queezy).

I have left it for 7 days fermenting - I swished the vessel slightly to keep the fermenting going and it seemed the sediment settled very well. On day 6 / 7 no bubbles in the airlock and the SG has stablisied.

It is VERY gassy coming out of the fermenter - I may be mistaking a off oder with a heavy "sulphur" type smell (the same smell I got with my first ever batch but this is much more pronounced - 4 months later and that rocked!)

Oh well - we'll have to see... A feelow brewer told me a wheat beer has a stronger oder and I was not expecting it to be sooo strong!

Archived