Coopers Community

Chilli Stout

BobS2

Had a great success earlier this year brewing a chilli stout. Started with a Thomas Cooper Brewmaster Selection Irish Stout and did a boil of Masterbrew \u201cBig Black\u201d Dry Irish Stout brew enhancer into which I put the pulp that I scraped out of 7 red hot chillies. Threw the chilli skins into the fermenter too! Pitched yeast at 27C and fermented at 21C for nearly 2 weeks, only used 3g of dextrose for priming.

Tasting notes:

On bottling Absolutely sensational - will work out well. Big rounded stout characters supported by good chilli fruitiness with just enough \u2018bite\u2019 to let you know that it is a real chilli beer. Look forward to tasting in about a month - if I can wait that long!

After a month Absolutely beautiful! Mocha and coffee on the front palate and then a taste of capsicum as it slides over the tongue to leave a warming chilli taste on the tonsils!

Anyone else had any experience with chilli stout or beer?

Sounds good Bob. I made a Coopers Pale Ale with Wheat malt, which was a great beer on its own, it was one of my 1st keg beers. The beer that didn't fit into the keg received some Chili treatment. I had some home dried chilis which i sliced and boiled in some sugar syrup which was also used for 2ndry fermentation. I haven't had one yet! I'll post when I crack one. I loosely based mine on Matso's Chili beer. i emailed Matso's direct for advice and the head brewer there replied. I was really impressed by the response!

Good luck with it.

I brewed a jalapeno beer years ago, not long after I started home brewing. I'm not sure why. [roll] The base was a light ale, more like a lager. It was...shall we say...an "acquired taste". I wound up using a lot of it in cooking, in soups, stews, etc. I never considered trying a chili stout - that does sound interesting!

Archived