Coopers Community

English Barley Wine Recipe?

KBH

Hi all,

I lurk on these forums more than anything, but thought I'd post a question to everyone.

Does anyone have a recipe for an English style Barley Wine, preferably one that is relatively simple with ingredients available at all LHB's. Im only 24, and have only been brewing for about a year, but I've done a fair few brews in that time. I have not yet delved into full on grain brewing however, just kit brewing with various malt extracts and various hops varieties.

If anyone has a recipe that they have tried, or wanting to try, please post it on here.

Thanks in advance,

KBH.

• 2 weeks later...

Would it be possible to get a decent result using an Original Series Dark Ale, with some dark malt and maybe some steeped grains? How much malt/grains would I need to ensure a smooth 'beer' while simultaneously having around 10% ABV?

I know the American versions tend to be packed with hops, but I'm looking at the English version, which only has a small amount of hops. Unfortunately the only recipes I can find are American recipes. I could just leave out the hops, but I'd be worried that it might throw off the hops/grains balance. The other issue is that most recipes are for all grain brewing, which I have not yet attempted, Im willing to dabble in adding a bit of grains to a kit recipe, but all grain seems a bit daunting at the moment.

Sorry KBH, I can't help with this one, but I reckon you would be close to mark regarding probs arising if leaving the hops out, with all the 'sugar' used to get to 10%, a certain amount of hops would probably be required to 'balance' the brew.

I'll have look on the interweb and see if something doesn't presenmt itself.[cool]

Archived