Coopers Community

Y&Js Naked Ale

RossT7

Hi guys - 1st post here, but a long time lurker. This site really is a fantastic resource for brewers of all abilities, especially novices like me!

I did a search for this, and couldn't find anything, but apologies if it's already been answered and also apologies for the geographically specific nature of the question.

There's a pub in Melbourne called Young & Jacksons (near Flinders St station) that does a fantastic beer called 'Naked Ale'. It has quite a medicinal aroma and taste and is cloudy (bit like a wheat beer).

I'm afraid i'm not talented enough to tell you that i think it has Cascade Hops or 1kg of LDM per 23L, but has anyone tried this beer and do you know how to clone it?

And what about Boddingtons - any suggestions for a clone?

Thanks in advance

Ross

Y & J\u2019s Naked Ale (4.9%) is made by Fosters Matilda Bay Garage in Dandenong Sth. It is a traditional hefeweizen unfiltered German wheat beer.

If you want to make a similar style beer you could make Cooper's basic Wheat beer using:

1.7kg can Thomas Coopers Wheat Beer

500g Light Dry Malt

300g Dextrose

to 23 litre and fermented around 21-23 degrees

Or you could try Paul UK's recipe:

http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-guild/talk-brewing?g=posts&t=1508

1.7kg Thomas Coopers Wheat Beer

500g Light Dry Malt

500g Wheat Malt

400g Dextrose

White Labs WLP300 liquid yeast

Having done some research on Boddingtons\u2019s Pub Ale (is that the one you are asking about?) it seems to be an ordinary sort of English Special Bitter. Perhaps using Goldings, Fuggles, and Bramlings hops.

The best part about it seems to be the Nitrogen induced head. (Like Guinness)

The Coopers English Bitter kit will probably get you a similar brew, when used with 1kg of light malt extract (LME).

I have a Special Bitter in the fermenter at the moment that uses 1kg of LME with 14g of Goldings thrown into the fermenter.

It should turn out very nice, (better than Boddingtons\u2019s?) just without the you-beaut nitrogen head.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried doing a Boddingtons style beer a while back, it was good, but not quite Boddingtons. As Tricky said, it lacks the Nitrogen Widget to give it the head, but made a nice drop none the less.

Recipe I used was much like the above:

Can English Bitter Kit

Can Thomas Coopers Light Malt Extract

350g Honey

UK Kent Goldings

Kit Yeast

21L Fill

Was close, but you wouldnt fool a full on Boddingtons drinker. That being said, I havent been doing this for too long, so the hops could have been way off. I'm still trying to get my LCPA right (need to get the passionfruit and marigold aromas). Worth a shot anyway.

KBH.

Thanks fellas - i'll give both recipes a shot.

Incidentally, KBH, what quantity of Goldings did you add? Did you dry hop or put them in the initial mash?

PS - please don't say you used the 'Strawberry Clover Honey' - goodness knows where you go to buy that.

Thanks in advance, Ross

Ross, I just used a 15g 'Tea Bag', cut it open, added it to about a litre of boiling water, boiled it for 2-3 mins and then added the whole thing to the fermenter while mixing up the wort. Adjusted temp with hot and cold water, and pitched yeast as normal.

Incidently the honey I used was 'Macadamia' Honey, I have a shop near me that sells many varieties. I've tried a few different honey brews, and found slight variances in different honey types. But realistically, any honey will do the job.

Archived