Coopers Community

Unreal Honey Ale

Martyn

Having done the Unreal Ale recipe as per the 'How to brew' section I thought it would take the honey addition quite well. I altered the recipe which is as follows-

Original Series Real Ale

500g Light Dry Malt

500g BE#1

600g Capilano Yellowbox honey.

I reduced the BE#1 by 500g to accommodate the honey as per Pauls advice in a previous thread. OG-1046. Used the yeast that came with the Real Ale.

Martyn.

P.S. The Unreal Ale was good to start with but is getting better with age.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Martyn

Does the honey brew take longer to ferment? And how much of a honey taste does it have.

I am looking at trying something different from the standard brew I have done to date.

Cheers Mark

G'day Mark,

If you are looking to try something different, without going so far as steepping grains (my next step) I would thoroughly recommend something like the Extra Smooth Bitter in the 'How To' section under Ales, which uses molasses - available at your larger supermarkets (and probably the smaller ones). I have done the ESB recipe, with an extra 300gms of dextrose for a bit of extra [devil] kick. It is still in the fermenter, has been for 1 week, but after a few Hydro readings I can't wait for it! The SMOTY Ale is also a good, simple confidence booster if you are looking to move up a step for a more complex Brew.

Pick one and go for it. Good luck mate.

Hey Mark, that's the reason I tried recipes with something different in (I did the Irish Ale which was a good starting point). Left it for a few days after fermentation had finished to let it clear, after bottling it only took a couple of days to clear whereas all my other brews take 4-5. First taste is tomorrow, cant wait. Will let you know how it tastes.

Martyn.

Had first taste on May 24, first couple of longies were very gassy. Since then it has settled down and is a very good drop, mid to dark amber colour with good head retention, clear and has benefited from a few days to clear in the fermenter after the action had stopped. The honey is not too overpowering but the sweetness is there. Same but different to the Irish Ale recipe. Will try again definately, possibly with a hop addition. Well worth having a play about with honey.

Martyn.

Archived