Coopers Community

Too Roasty? Pasteurise it!

LordEoin

Discovered this by accident when trying to pasteurise some mid-ferment ginger beer to kill the yeast and keep the carbonation...

I had a brew that tasted like hoppy burnt toast so it was 'quite disposable'.

i put one of those also to check bottle/cap stability and found that afterwards the beer had mellowed and was much nicer.

So I did all the rest too and it is a fantastic drop now [biggrin]

How to pasteurise:

- Bring a large pot of water up to 73C

- Gently lower the bottled beer into the water (6ish max).

- If you have something to keep the bottles off the bottom of the pot, it is best.

- Leave for 5 minutes

- Bring the temperature back up to 73.

- Remove and add the next lot of bottles

You can also do this at 63C, but the liquid needs to be at least 63C for at least 30 minutes.

73C takes 15 seconds but the added heat means extra pressure.[rightful]

Warning:

PETs are probably not suitable.

Only do this with good bottles that are firmly capped.

One of the bottles popped its cap, sent a fountain of beer all the way to the cieling and splatters for about 3 metersAnnoyed

It is quite a fizzy beer and must not have been capped tight enough[annoyed]

Less carbonated beer should be fine though.

Discovered this by accident when trying to pasteurise some mid-ferment ginger beer to kill the yeast and keep the carbonation...

I had a brew that tasted like hoppy burnt toast so it was 'quite disposable'.

i put one of those also to check bottle/cap stability and found that afterwards the beer had mellowed and was much nicer.

So I did all the rest too and it is a fantastic drop now [biggrin]

How to pasteurise:

- Bring a large pot of water up to 73C

- Gently lower the bottled beer into the water (6ish max).

- If you have something to keep the bottles off the bottom of the pot, it is best.

- Leave for 5 minutes

- Bring the temperature back up to 73.

- Remove and add the next lot of bottles

You can also do this at 63C, but the liquid needs to be at least 63C for at least 30 minutes.

73C takes 15 seconds but the added heat means extra pressure.[rightful]

Warning: Only do this with good bottles that are firmly capped.

One of the bottles popped its cap, sent a fountain of beer all the way to the cieling and splatters for about 3 meters[annoyed]

It is quite a fizzy beer and must not have been capped tight enough[annoyed]

PETs are probably not suitable.

87 celcius for 10 mins is all you need.

At 87 you'd only need to get all the liquid that hot for about a second.

15 seconds at 73 will do the same business with less chance of 'accidents' when the ethanol starts to boil at 78.

I wouldn't recommend 87 for beer, but it would be fine for non-alcoholic stuff like ginger beer to kill the yeast.

Here's a graph of temps and times:

pasteurisationtable_zps75630c7a.jpg

I would not recommend this for beer as it will kill the yeast that are going to bottle condition the beer.

The ABV of my cider is the same as that of most of my beers.

I have done about a dozen batches of cider using 87C method and it works great and never had a problem with even a blown cap.

I put 9 bottles a time in 8L of 87C hot water and temp of water drops to 75 after 10 mins. I believe it needs 10 mins to ensure all the yeast in the bottles is killed.

I like to make a semi-dry sparkling cider and this method works very well. I call a halt to the fermentation at 1010 and bulk prime with dextrose. Usually ready to pastuerize in 4 days but must monitor closely. I bottle one PET bottle to monitor carbing level.

Archived