Coopers Community

Is my SRM calculation good?

JonathanC

Hello,

I know al about the formula EBC = (SRM x 2.65) - 1.2

But if you apply it to the IPA (internation) it gives an SRM of 86 , witch is very high for an IPA (I think) Is it the can SRW an then I have to conver to 23L ??? (86*1.25/23= 5)

Regards

Hello,

But if you apply it to the IPA (internation) it gives an SRM of 86 , witch is very high for an IPA (I think) Is it the can SRW an then I have to conver to 23L ??? (86*1.25/23= 5)

Regards

The colours quoted are for the undiluted cans, that way you can work out the colour by factoring in what size brew you're making. The formula is Cans Colour in EBC * 1.7 / litres you're making. So for the Thomas Coopers India Pale Ale it would be 230*1.7/23= 17 EBC, presuming you're making 23 litres.

Hello,

Regards

Welcome Jonathon

I think you are on the money and it is nice to see someone arriving rather than departing the forum.

Early on the British Institute of Brewing (IOB) and the European Brewing Convention (EBC) used different methods for quantifying the color of beer and malt. Even after 1950 when the American Society of Brewing Chemists (ASBC) adopted the standard spetrophometric measurements of beer color using 1/2'\xc2\u201d samples and a light wavelength of 430 nm (ultrablue or ultra-powderblue), the other IOB and EBC were using different methods and a light wavelength of 530 nm (Green). These methods were not linearly related but generally the conversion formulas

SRM = 0.377 EBC + 0.45 and EBC = 2.65 SRM \xc2\u2013 1.2

were used

Since 1991 the EBC uses a 1 cm sample and a wavelength or 430. So now the ASBC SMR is measured for \xc2\xbd\xc2\u201d at 430 nm with its corresponding absorbance multiplied by 10. While the EBC is measured for a 1cm sample at 430 nm but it\xc2\u2019s absorbance is multiplied by 25.

So today\xc2\u2019s conversion is much simpler -

SRM X 1.97 = EBC and EBC / 1.97 = SRM

Personally I find it all too confusing and just add a pinch of this and a cup full of that.

Archived