Coopers Community

Question about priming cider with apple juice

LucienA

Hey all,

When you bulk prime with apple juice do you need to boil the juice to remove oxygen? I'm scared of having a whole batch going stale.

I've had a simple cider (26L preservative-free bottled apple juice + S04 yeast) fermenting away and now it's finished at 1.004. The lady and I (and our friends too, unfortunately) are big fans of dry ciders and it tastes sweet enough for me so I'm not going to backsweeten it at all, I think the S04 makes a much nicer cider than the wine or champagne yeast I've used in the past.

In the spirit of keeping things simple I'd like to bulk prime using more of the same apple juice. I can work out how much juice I need for the right amount of fizz but I'm just unsure about the boil...

I think I will boil the juice just to be safe but how long do I need to boil the juice to get the oxygen out of it? Will boiling affect the flavour?

Hoping for some collective wisdom!

Cheers,

L

I find that dextrose or table sugar works best for priming fruit juice champagne/cider.

Priming with fruit juice seems to give less fizz and more dilution.

If you do, boiling the juice would do no harm to it, but shouldn't be necessary as the juice company tries to keep as much oxygen out of those bottles anyway (to stop the juice going dark).

I've never tried making a cider with an Ale yeast, and when using wine yeast I generally leave it turn to flat wine.

This is the cider yeast I normally use. It works great [biggrin]

Young's Cider Yeast 5g

Archived