Coopers Community

Carbonation drop fizz on adding them to the bottle

Coxy

Weird thing happened on the Mexican Cerveza I just bottled. first couple of bottles, as soon as I put the carbonation drops in it erupted with fizz. One of them, the fizz came all the way out of the bottle, the rest just developed a "head" in the bottle neck.

I haven't noticed it do that previously when I've added drops in.

Is that an indication of anything i should be worried about?

I continued on and everything's bottled. So I'll just wait and see how it turns out, but there was nothing untoward in the process/fermentation. Its SG had been static for nearly a week (1.012). I did notice fizz when I got hydrometer readings, but it died down fairly quick. Smelt and tasted OK.

I'm not overly worried, just something I hadn't seen before.

That is weird. I'm sure it'll turn out fine, though.

I had a somewhat similar thing happen with a 13 liter batch of hard apple cider I made from store-bought apple juice, molasses and Coopers yeast. I left the batch in the FV for two weeks, by which time it had fallen crystal clear. However, when I proceeded to bottle it, it fizzed like crazy, like it had already been fully carbonated. Needless to say, I did not expect that. Does anyone have any idea how that is even possible? How could the liquid have absorbed the CO2 without the pressure of a sealed container? Anyway, I just waited for the fizzing to cease before putting on the crown seals, and the final product turned out just fine.

That is weird. I'm sure it'll turn out fine, though.

I had a somewhat similar thing happen with a 13 liter batch of hard apple cider I made from store-bought apple juice, molasses and Coopers yeast. I left the batch in the FV for two weeks, by which time it had fallen crystal clear. However, when I proceeded to bottle it, it fizzed like crazy, like it had already been fully carbonated. Needless to say, I did not expect that. Does anyone have any idea how that is even possible? How could the liquid have absorbed the CO2 without the pressure of a sealed container? Anyway, I just waited for the fizzing to cease before putting on the crown seals, and the final product turned out just fine.

Yeah, I bottled it in PET so I'm not concerned about explosions...maybe gushers when I do open them.

I wonder if the airtight seal on my FV was too good, and given it was in the fermentation fridge at 12 degrees maybe some of the CO2 didn't escape the dreaded airlock and got absorbed instead?

I wonder if the airtight seal on my FV was too good' date=' and given it was in the fermentation fridge at 12 degrees maybe some of the CO2 didn't escape the dreaded airlock and got absorbed instead?[/quote']

That sounds pretty unlikely to me, unless of course you had a clogged airlock, which I doubt because it probably would have been blasted straight off the FV. With my cider, the airlock was bubbling every three minutes or so even after the batch had cleared completely (obviously due to some of the gas in the liquid being released), so that couldn't have been the issue. I hope someone has an explanation to this. I mean, it's expected to have some gas in the liquid at bottling, but like I said, this stuff was just ridiculously carbonated.

Weird thing happened on the Mexican Cerveza I just bottled. first couple of bottles, as soon as I put the carbonation drops in it erupted with fizz. One of them, the fizz came all the way out of the bottle, the rest just developed a "head" in the bottle neck.

Coxy,

I had a similar thing happen to me 3 weeks ago when I bottled a batch of Mexican Cerveza. Not every bottle frothed over, it seemed to ease off as I got through the batch, I also added the caps quicker after adding the drops. I even tried putting the drops in the bottle before adding the beer but this didn't seem to make much of a difference.

I opened one last night to see how it was going but it wasn't carbonated very well. I will add that the weather hasn't been ideal here in Toowoomba for carbonating, I just stack my bottles in the garage. I am hoping that it improves over the next couple of weeks.

I know this probably doesn't explain what has caused this for you, but I wouldn't be too worried as should still carb up OK in the bottle.

Wal

The beer will be saturated with carbon dioxide when it finishes fermenting (and hopefully no dissolved oxygen).

The amount of dissolved CO2 is dependent mainly on the temperature and pressure, but there will always be some gases in the liquid.

How fast this dissolved gas is released depends on: a drop in pressure, a rise in temperature, an increase in the movement of the liquid (like shaking it up) and the number of nuclei in the liquid the the gas can form on.

So the fizzing is just the liquid releasing the dissolved gases and coming to a new point of equilibrium.

As there will not be a change in the pressure when you bottle that factor will not come into it. but movement of the liquid, like pouring into a glass from a bottle, and the fine sugar particles introduced to the liquid will effect how much and how quickly gas is released.

Some types of fermentation use degassing to speed up the clearing and settling of the yeast, but this is avoided in beer making to minimise infections.

Coxy,

Just to add to previous comments, given it was quite a nice day here I managed to get a few jobs done around the yard and earnt myself a beer or two - upon opening the fridge I discovered a few of the above mentioned Cerveza's that have been in the fridge for a few days. When I opened them they gave a lovely hiss and poured with a great head and plenty of bubbles. Not sure what I am trying to say here except that there is no need to worry about your beer with the fizz at the time of adding carbonation drops.

Maybe this success will be an omen for Wednesday night...!!! [bandit]

I always added the carb drops to the empty bottles,then used a bottling wand to fill the bottles from the bottom up. Never had this problem. Also,chilling for at least a week stopped them from gushing when opened.

But as was stated,co2 in the batch is mainly temp driven. Not to mention,being sure it's done fermenting & settled clear or slightly misty at bottling time. It's my opinion that the actual temp throughout fermenting was just low enough to keep a lot of the co2 created in solution.

But when controlled at least to some degree,you get good carbonation & head,as you've seen. I love this aspect of it in my APA/IPA's. Beers with more hops need good carbonation to drive the hop flavor & aroma to expected levels,in my experiences.

Archived