Coopers Community

Jacking Off

LordEoin

Has anyone tried 'Jacking' or 'Freezejacking' their brew?

I did this once with a basic cider that I left too long in the freezer, and was impresed by the result (which I only found out tonight is called Applejack), but has anyone here tried it with beer?

It only came to mind after googling a crazy 41% beer I saw recently called 'Sink The Bismark', but now its stuck in my head.

Here's a description of Sink the Bismark:

A quadruple IPA that contains four times the hops, four times the bitterness and frozen four times to create at a staggering 41% ABV.

... Kettle hopped, dry hopped then freeze hopped for a deep fruit, resinous and spicy aroma. A full out attack on your taste-buds...

I presume for 'Freeze Hopping' you add the hops just before freezing, then as oils have a lower melting rate than water you get the hop oils in the end liquid. Or am I completely off the (bis)mark?

I'm pretty sure that Jacking is legal because it doesnt make fumes like distillation, but that's also up for correction.

Firstly, I thought this thread was going to be about something totally different and was very hesitant to open it in case I found something you were meant to post on another forum...

I also saw that same beer last night, crazy stuff! We have a bottle-o near me that sells it and they say it's pretty much like drinking spirits.

As for the freezing beer, check out BrewingTV's YouTube channel. One of the guys did an experiment there with a beer. I think the episode was called "Eis is Nice" or something.

LordEoin, as you point out jacking is not distillation and I cannot find a legal limit on the ABV% of Home Brew.

I have done it a few times, with Cider, Perry, Mead and Beer.

My favourite was an English Old Ale (Similar to Cooper's ESVA), it was like drinking a very complex spirit.

Freeze Hopping is a new term for me, too. I like your logic, but consider the "oils" need to be extracted from the hops, perhaps a hop oil extract is used or they make a "tea".

Smithy - How much wee they flogging "Bismark" for? When first available here it was over $200 !!

The story behind it is cool. Crazy Scottish Brewery (Brew Dog) made Tactical Nuclear Penguin - at the time the record for highest %ABV beer. A German brewery then produced one that beat their's, so they fired back with Sink the Bismark. Go to Brewdog.com and check their beers and Videos...

They also did a small batch named "End of History", about $800 a bottle and presented stuffed inside recycled road kill!!

brewdog_taxidermy211_534.jpg

Oh wow that's insane!!! I might have to check out their site [happy]

But yeah, $200 a bottle up here too. Crazy prices. I thought it was either a joke or a mistake at first. Then I read the ABV on it.. Still think it's a bit crazy.

wow, there's a lot of information in

That brew made me both hungry and thirsty. [biggrin]

$200 is crazy! maybe that was the silly roadkill version.

Its \xa340 (so probably around 50 of your crazy moon dollar) to buy at the moment from Brewdog

Something I'll try for sure.

Probably because it's kinda local for you [ninja] and all the taxes etc getting it over here.

There was no roadkill surrounding this bottle either. I don't think that'd make me want to drink it either

Archived