Coopers Community

Diacetyl rest temperatures

Phil Mud

Hi Guys,

I just bottled an APA yesterday that, much to my dismay, had acquired a strong banana smell. I thought I'd bottle anyway, because you never know, but I think it's going to be undrinkable.

I fermented this brew with Wyeast 1272 (American Ale II) at 18C-19C for about 8 days - after this the FG was about 1.010 and I decided to let the temp come up to ambient temps for a D-rest. At this point the beer smelled and tasted great. I kept an eye on the temps and they got up as high as 26C - I didn't think this was a problem as the yeast had pretty much finished attenuating. Having said that I can't see how else the esters could have been produced in the last few days in the FV.

I had thought the start of attenuation was where these flavour precursors were usually formed - anyone else had this happen? What's the upper temp people allow for a D-Rest? I read somewhere the other day that D-rests should actually be at fermentation temps or lower for ales, and that it's just lagers that should come up. Thoughts?

I don't understand why you would do a D-rest for an ale, and why you would do a D-rest with any beer if you haven't noticed any diacetyl?

I sometimes bring my ales up from 18 to 20 odd possibly to make sure fermentation is done, but mainly for superstitious reasons.

I can't see any benefit from going as high as 26 deg after fermentation has finished.

I don't understand why you would do a D-rest for an ale, and why you would do a D-rest with any beer if you haven't noticed any diacetyl?

I can't see any benefit from going as high as 26 deg after fermentation has finished.

woops, I might be misusing the term - I realise diacetyl is a specific flavour precursor, but thought that "D-rest" was often used as a bit of a catch all term to describe the yeast "cleaning up after themselves" - That's all I really meant and it seems from this forum and others like that's a pretty common thing to do with ales.

Is it correct that this usually involves upping the temperature to encourage the yeast to do this more aggressively? I didn't intend to bring it up to 26C, that was just the ambient temperature, however I wasn't too worried because I was under the impression that at that late stage of fermentation, off flavours were not a likely result - the LHBS guy who sold me the yeast certainly said this.

Kearnage, sounds like you keep the temps pretty low the whole way through - presumably your beer clears up well? My temp control is all about ice blocks, so it's high maintenance, but seems like it might be worth icing the whole way through.

OK, I see what you mean. Yes, a lot of brewers leave the beer for a few days to a week or so after FG is reached to let everything settle and the yeast to munch whatever else it can. This can be done at the ferment temp or raised a degree or two. I can see if you are using iceblocks that would be painful!

Even doing that my beer at bottling is never perfectly clear - that happens with secondary fermentation, storage, and refrigeration.

I grew up drinking Coopers Ale, so perfectly clear beer has always meant West End to me [sick]

If you have to work so hard for temp control, it might be best to not have such a long wait after FG is reached.

Archived