Coopers Community

Our Beer Gets Better - But How?

brada7

We often hear on these threads that whatever we have brewed 'tastes good/great but will improve in a couple of months".

I would agree that this is true but what exactly takes place? How do you explain it to friends and family. Without getting too technical.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe this can be attributed to the yeast cleaning up the by-products/esters that they produce that many people find contribute flavours that they dont like. Secondary fermentation can also dull excessive sweetness that can usually be present in the early stages of bottle conditioning due to the yeast turning sugar compounds into alcohol and carbon dioxide

Gday Brad,some brews you do turn out great or ok or just plain shite. Some taste great after two weeks in the bottle and a few weeks later they seem to taste a bit funny and as a few weeks after that they taste very ordinary. If your sanitisation is all good, it's more than likely to be the fermentation temps. You need a fairly consistant temp for fermentation (about 18-20 is good).Less for lagers and pilseners.

As for family and friends...don't worry about them. You don't learn how to brew overnight!

I started brewing ten months ago and i'm still no where near being a master brewer, but i'm having loads of fun getting there.

It get's better as you go [biggrin] There's lot's to learn !!

Happy brewing, Brendan.

Archived