Coopers Community

First brew using Pale Ale

RayP2

Finally dug the unused kit out of the closet and made a batch of Austrailian Pale Ale today... Decided to save the kit Lager til summer... When we bought the kit, we had picked up a few of the other recipes...

Anyway, I noted on the Pale Ale instructions to only fill with water to the 20 liter mark... Glad I saw that as I was already ready to fill to the 23 liter mark which I guess is for the default Lager... Is this typical for the canned beer kits? Do they all have a little different make up water quantity?

Looking forward to see how this comes out...

Thanks in advance... pasayten

Hey Ray

I have only made this kit a couple of times, but always to 23 litres. I have had a look at my instruction sheet, at step b) under 1.Mix it says top up to the 20 litre mark. This is to enable mixing and to guage the temperature of the wort. at step c) it says top up to 23 litres with hot or cold water.

Paul's recipe at how to brew here also mixes to 20 litres. Other recipes to call for less volume, for example this one. What you will get with 20 litres is a higher ABV % and slighter more bitterness. And less beer [bandit]

Archived