Coopers Community

S23 pitch temp too high?

DavidP17

I just put down a Thomas Coopers Pilsener kit and when i had finished filling up to 22L my temp was at 27 degrees, i have read/heard that it is more risky to wait till temp drops so i pitched a packet of Saflager S23 at 27 degrees.

I put it straight in my temp controlled fridge and set it for 22, i was planning on letting it sit at 22 for a couple of hours then drop it down to 13

Will it be ok? Any tips/advice?

Thanks

Probably not the best that it was pitched that high, I wouldn't worry about the 22 degrees as it would take a few hours for 23L of wort to drop temp anyway, maybe just drop it straight down to 13.. the quicker its down to lower temps the better.

I should add that there's minimal risk involved in letting the wort sit for a while before pitching... as long as the lid's on and kept on and your FV is sanitary there shouldnt be a problem. I've let wort sit in the FV for 6-8 hours before pitching.

I should add that there's minimal risk involved in letting the wort sit for a while before pitching... as long as the lid's on and kept on and your FV is sanitary there shouldnt be a problem. I've let wort sit in the FV for 6-8 hours before pitching.

The practice is not recommended generally as even though the FV may have been scrupulously cleaned and sanitized, airborne bacteria and wild yeast can exist in the head-space above the wort. Microorganisms are ever-present in the air and the larger the head-space the greater the risk of a rogue inoculation taking hold in the fertile breeding ground when they have no good yeast to compete with. The yeast should be pitched into the wort as soon as possible.

The aim is to get the wort to the correct pitching temperature as quickly as possible. The use of cold water or sterile ice to get the desired pitching temperature have been discussed in other threads.

Planning ahead by putting a few litres of water in the fridge overnight or preparing ice makes the wort preparation easier. When you have a couple of more litres to reach the batch volume then start taking temperature and adjust with hot or cold water to get correct pitching temperature at final volume. Then get those good yeast in there asap so they can take control of the environment and not let the competition get a foothold.

Archived