Coopers Community

Making a yeast starter

WaynoW

I would like to wash and re use the yeast out of a couple of batches I have on the go.

Just curious, as per this link... Washing and Reusing Yeast

This might seem a stupid question, so bare with me, but in the article it calls it a 'Yeast Starter'.

Does this mean it is used only as a supplementary starter, or is it used wholly and solely as the only yeast you add to the wort?

Secondly, at the end of the article, it states "On the day before you brew, add some wort to your yeast create an appropriately sized yeast starter for your next batch.

How would you 'add wort' to your yeast starter on the day before, and for what reason?

Cheers

Wayne

I would like to wash and re use the yeast out of a couple of batches I have on the go.

Just curious, as per this link... Washing and Reusing Yeast

This might seem a stupid question, so bare with me, but in the article it calls it a 'Yeast Starter'.

Does this mean it is used only as a supplementary starter, or is it used wholly and solely as the only yeast you add to the wort?

Secondly, at the end of the article, it states "On the day before you brew, add some wort to your yeast create an appropriately sized yeast starter for your next batch.

How would you 'add wort' to your yeast starter on the day before, and for what reason?

Cheers

Wayne

It talks about using the washed yeast as a basis for a yeast starter not being a yeast starter

here is another good article worth reading

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Washing_yeast

To add wort to your washed yeast you make up a mix of water and DME at a 10 to 1 ratio (100ml water to each 10gms of DME)

You will find this is a very easy procedure and will save you money. It is only good for short term storage and you may choose to move on to slanting yeast or even freezing the yeast for longer term storage.

Many of the folks on homebrewtalk save 1/2 pint jars (with canning lids & rings) for a couple of months in the fridge after washing.

Then,take then out to come up to room temp before making a starter for the beer you'll use it in.

So the 1st one you use is really just boiled & cooled water that takes on some color from the beer the yeast was saved from.

And the starter you make to get sufficient #'s to ferment with should be done a couple days in advance. Under ideal conditions,24 hours will see the yeast double. And that may not be saying much when you need enough for 19-23L of wort. So 2-3 days is average for washed yeast out of the fermenter.

I understand that yeast out of bottles of ale can take 5 days to start going good when culturing enough to pitch. So a good wort will be needed. But just enough for a liter or so.

Archived