Coopers Community

Secondary Fermentation

ChrisG11

What a great forum !! Being able to gain the benefit of other peoples experience is fantastic. Having got immediate responses to my last issue here goes with the next - When I bottle my beer in a few days time I am aware that it needs to remain in a warm environment in order for the secondary fermentation to happen in the bottle. My plan is to eventually store them in my garage which is fairly cool. How long would you suggest that I keep them in a warm place before taking them out to the garage ?? I thought that about 10 days ??? should be enough (my "warm place" is about 21 degrees C) to ensure that fermentation in the bottle is complete. Thanks [pouty]

Chris,

I usually leave them for 10-14 days & they have well & truly carbonated by then. I bottled my last brew on Friday night & they are already firming up. They are in the freezer section of my brew fridge with a shielded light & kept @ 20 degrees.

Give them a light squeeze after 10 days & if they are firm they should be good to store.

Hey guys,

New to the forum and my question may be a little off topic. I want to make the wheat beer a Honey Weat; should I reepplace sugars with honey during the primary or secondary fermentation and does anyone know roughly how much i would use if brewing one kit? Thanks!

Hey guys,

New to the forum and my question may be a little off topic. I want to make the wheat beer a Honey Weat; should I reepplace sugars with honey during the primary or secondary fermentation and does anyone know roughly how much i would use if brewing one kit? Thanks!

Chris, you should have started a new topic rather than Hijack this one...[rightful]

Anyway, welcome to the forum and enjoy your stay!

Go ahead and replace the sugar with honey weight for weight or 10-20% of the fermtables for a rough rule of thumb and starting point.

Be mindful that the honey flavour will dissipate the longer it is in the bottle. Add it to the secondary or even prime with it for a longer lasting flavour.

Archived