Coopers Community

Boiling Hops with Malt Extract

DavidP17

Hey guys have been reading up lately on using malt extracts iv only brewed 2 batches of beer and am interested in using a malt extract for my next one. [cool]

When people are saying add 15g Amarillo (for example) @ 15 min, then 15g @ 5 min, how long is the overall boil time and how much of the malt extract do you add in?

I have also heard that boiling the malt extract can take away from its flavour is this true?

Even if someone could post a good link explaining this process of boiling malt extracts with hops any advice would be appreciated.

Hey David,

You'll only lose flavour is boiling pre-hopped kits not plain malt.

When people are saying add 15g Amarillo (for example) @ 15 min, then 15g @ 5 min, how long is the overall boil time

In this example you have a total boil of 15 mins. So the first hops you need to add are the 15g @ 15 min (meaning 15 mins before the end of the boil. The next 15g of hops (15g @ 5 min) are added 5 mins before the end of the boil.

I need to go out now - not sure if I've answered all of your question. I'll comes back later and expand [biggrin]

Ok cheers mate when i was saying Malt extract i had the thomas cooper's range in mind eg. Amber malt extract, light malt extract but im open to try whatevers recommended.

So you just add say 2 litres of water to a pot bring to a boil then add the malt extract, bring that to a boil, then add the hops and time from the first hop addition?

It is generally recommended that you aim for a gravity of approximately 1040 for your boil. 100g of LDM (or about 120g of liquid malt extract) per ltire will get you to about 1040.

The size of your boil affects how well the hops you used are utilised. I recommend downloading ianh's Kit & Extract Beer Spreadsheet on AHB and playing around with to see how different boil sizes affect hop utilisation.

EDIT: The latest version of the spreadsheet can be found at post #352 via the link

Archived