Coopers Community

Do i need more yeast?

Erik S

Hi there![lol] Two week ago i made a mexican cerveza set. Because my local store was out of BE2 i just bought two cans of extract and used both bags of yeast. I tried this with a brown ale earlier and the taste on this was very good, but it had a serious amount of cediments in the bottles. Therefor i moved the cerveza to a secondary fermenter after a week, but it seems that I did it to early since the gravity has been stabil at 1014 for some days now. Oh yes, it have beed fermenting at room temperature, between 22 and 24. Is it lager yeast in this kit, so that it need som more time, or should i put in some more yeast?

hi Erik,

welcome to the guild![wink]

i think you'll be right mate with that FG reading. when using a toucan (all malt)recipe you can expect the FG to be a little higher than the normal kit & kilo of sugar. this is due to the high % of unfermentables in the Malt. the result will be slightly less ABV% and more residual sweetness. i personally like the results from most toucans i have tried (never tried the toucan MEX, though)[annoyed] .

i used a online brewer's calculator on your recipe assuming it was made to 23L and the result said OG 1.050, FG 1.013 ABV%5.4. remember that the online calculator is only an approx.

let ti sit for two weeks to clear then bottle it up and add the lime[biggrin]

chad

Excelent mate, that`s just what I wanted to hear![biggrin] For a second I was afraid that it was over and out for this batch.. I still think that it tastes a bit too sweet though, but this will propably get better after conditioned on bottles. Just let the rest of the yeast turn that sugary sweetness into our good friend king alcohol. Cheers[cool]

Archived