Coopers Community

60 grams of fuggle hops maybe to much.

MATHEWJ

Hey everyone,

I am new to this site and fairly new to brewing! Well i was making a Indian pale ale using 1 x 1.7kg can of Thomas cooper (IPA), 1 x 1.5kg can of master blend malt, 200 grams of pale ale grain steeped and and i added 60 grams of pelleted fuggle hops instead of 20 grams! Will that turn out way to bitter? and dose anyone know what the ibu of the final beer would be? any help would be good cheers matt

Only if you are boiling the hops or steeping large amounts of hops for a long time in hot wort/water will you get a problem with excessive bitterness.But its a IPA so you want it bitter and hoppy .

Large amounts of late hops or dry hop will give the beer a whole lot of hop aroma and flavor and its not unheard of especially in IPAs but can sometimes give a grassy flavor if you overdo it ,

The Coopers IPA made with 23 Liters of water is about 36-47 IBU if my math is right ,so the hopping rate might be a bit low if your aming for a US West Coast IPA but ok if you want a English IPA ,

Coopeers IPA 710IBU ,1.7kg kit ,23 Liters water, 10-30% fermentation loss

(710x1.7)/23x90% (or 70%)

EDIT : I just noticed you also steeped the pale malt (200gm of pale malt needs mini-mashing) did you do a boil with the wort from that also ?

Thankyou for your swift reply! What i did was steeped the 200 grams of malted grain for 20 mins, then strained the mix before boiling for 10 mins with the 60 grams of fuggle pelletized hops added, then i poured that into the fermenter with can of malt and Thomas cooper IPA and pitched the yeast (Burtons Ale yeast WLP023) I was looking to achieve a English IPA cheers matt

Archived