Coopers Community

Coopers Original series Draught

Barnie

Hi Barnie

I reckon your question on what sugars to use all comes down to personal preference. It is the beauty of homebrew, that you can't get a recipe wrong. Rather it is just a style that you don't like, and an opinion isn't wrong as it is your opinion.

I personally like using quite a bit of malt, (especially LDME) as the fermentable in my brews. This is because I enjoy the heavier, fuller body that malt gives. It is for this reason that I have often used BE2 over BE1 due to the make up of each Brew Enhancer. But that is just my personal preference.

The make up of BE1, BE2 & Brewing Sugar are as follows:

Coopers BE1

600g Dextrose,

400g Maltodetrin (dried corn syrup)

Coopers BE2

500g Dextrose

250g Maltodextrin

250g Light Dry Malt

Coopers Brewing Sugar

800g Dextrose

200g Maltodextrin

I have also used 1kg Coopers Brew Sugar with a 500g LDME to boost the final ABV in some of my brews. Again it all depends on the style you are making and personal preference.

There are a couple of brewing calculators on the web, linked from this forum. The can and a kilo of BE2 will end up with an ABV of about 4.5% if mixed to 23litres. If you reduce the amount of water added to 20litres you could push the ABV over to about 5.2% Reduce the about of sugar and you will reduce the final ABV.

Hope this helps, I reckon that for a fuller brew use BE2 (but that is my opinion). Mix up a brew with your chosen Brew Enhancer and report back here with your result.

I made a Coopers Original draught with BE2 + 300gms of Dex and it was a great beer after about 8-10 weeks in the bottle. Can't wait to have a go at the high end Coopers draught!

I reckon the BE1 along with 500gms of Light Dry Malt would also throw a good beer. And then there are the hop additions you could get into...

Archived