Coopers Community

Help!! Too high temperature in fermenter??

Erik S

I just set my second batch in the coopers micre brewery kit. This time i used a Coopers Pale Ale and BE2. I washed the fermenter in 60 degrees celsius before sanitating it. Will this affect the stick-on thermometer included in the box? After following the same procedure as last time, the termometer now says 30C. Last time it was 24. It does however dont feel like its that hot. What makes me concerned however i that the air-lock started bubling once every second minute or so after just halv an hour. Is this a safe sign that I should just pour the whole thing down the drain?[crying]

Dont toss it out!!!

Do not underestimate the power of hungry yeast in large groups - if it started fermenting, it means that you did not kill the yeast, which is good sign!

try stick it someplace ~20C if you have - basement/garage/shade - gotta be place where its generally cooler.

As for sticky thermometer - I have same thing - while washing it with 60C+ water, it maxes out, but so far been steady back to 20ish.

Could it be that you had a bit too much hot water while mixing brew? that might be most likely reason for it.

Thanks for your reply mate! I have now put it in a closet with 21C. I did not use more than 2 litres of boiled water, but I guess that the tap-water must have been hotter this time. I really hope that the yeast has survived. It would honestly brake my heart to toss 23 litres of great beer away!

if you stirred it a bit after pitching and yeast survived, you should see the usual signs of fermentation pretty soon at those temps - foaming, condensation in airlock and formation of foamy crust (kreusen) on the sides of fermenter.

oh, and never ever consider tossing batch out unless its like... erm... trying to eat you alive or smells like car battery acid mixed with old diapers or something - well, you got the idea - "really really really BAD smell"... in all other cases, even if its a bit "funky", time and patience might heal it.

I had a batch that smelled very "peary" and bit sour in bottling bucket - I had temp way too high to ferment it and guess what? a week in a bottle and even without chilling those smells are diminished about 90% - there is nice hoppy and malty smell about it that dominates it now...

I honestly was about to toss that batch out because it did not smell or taste too good at bottling - odd sourish taste with enormous bitterness. but then just went on and bottled it. Oh, and my t on bucket was about 28 in first active stage of its fermentation - so not that far off with yours.

So, have a little faith!

Archived