Coopers Community

Brew frothing continuously out of fermenter

SachinC

Hi,

i am perplexed to see incessant froth coming out of the air lock.

yesterday, i mixed one of Coopers dark ale beer kit , 2 of Real Ale kit and 1 kg of BE1 adding up to 25 Lt. used all 3 of the packed yeast sachets and started off at around 32 degree. within hours the air lock started bubbling and soon the foam was sputtering out of the air lock and spilling over. i had to move the fermenter to a tub. in the last 15 hours the temp has dropped to 22 degree but frothing hasn't stopped creating a mess with 2 liters of brew already spilled out. i am not worried about losing brew than about hygiene and possibility of infection. how could have i avoided this?

are 3 packets of yeast too much or is it something else?

I'm just a novice. So this isn't gospel. Ales as far as I know do kick up a bit of froth when fermenting. And as far as I can tell, you've got a lot of fermentables in your FV.

I've read that some people will have a lower volume for the first few days while it's at its most active and then top it up with some more water later.

So you've made a three can batch to 25 liters and added 1kg of fermentables.... If I were you I'd stuff a siphon hose in the hole in the bung on my airlock and put the other end in a big pot with a few inches of water in the bottom. If the brew turns out to be a tasty one then the next time you make it use a really big bucket[cool]

Sachin, that's one heck of a lot of fermentables you've got there!!!!![surprised

You must have had a huge OG and the end result will be towards the limits of the yeasts tolerance.

How to avoid froth out the airlock?

Dark beers in particular will froth a lot. You can start at a lower volume and top up with cooled boiled water, but I think the OG of that pangalactic gargleblaster would test the mettle of any yeast at any lower volume.

You might need to take out the airlock and put on a blowoff tube.

I don't think you used too much yeast, more too much fermentables!

Cripes

Dan

thank you guys, appreciate your responses. i am getting the point. either get a big pot or start off on low volume otherwise reduce the fermentables. the OG was 1080 and it has now come down to 1045.

how much OG can the packed in yeast tolerate, i wonder?

Archived